Introduction to the Software Management Services API
The ThingSpace Software Management Services API allows customers to perform over-the-air firmware upgrades while devices are in the field. This service allows most 4G/LTE devices to leverage the standards-based OMA-DM or LWM2M signaling protocols to bootstrap the device, check its firmware version, and upgrade it accordingly. If your device was certified via the Verizon Open Development program after May 2016, it should automatically work with the ThingSpace hFOTA API. If you have a device certified prior to May 2016 or experience any problems using your device with this service, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can work with you to ensure a seamless experience.
The ThingSpace Software Management Services API requires:
- 4G OMA-DM or LWM2M devices
- The billing account number of your Verizon Enterprise account
- The credentials of your ThingSpace Develop account
- Your account’s UWS login credentials
The Over-the-Air Firmware Upgrade Process
These are the general steps of an over-the-air firmware upgrade:
- A Verizon customer contacts their Verizon account representative to subscribe to ThingSpace Software Management Services.
- The customer assigns Software Management Services licenses to devices. (Not necessary for a usage-based subscription.)
- A device manufacturer uploads a new firmware version to ThingSpace.
- ThingSpace sends a callback message to notify customers about the new firmware.
- The customer schedules a firmware upgrade for a list of devices.
- At or near the scheduled time, ThingSpace pushes the firmware upgrade to the devices, and also sends a callback message to notify the customer that the upgrade has started.
- When ThingSpace has pushed the firmware to all the specified devices, ThingSpace sends another callback message to notify the customer that the upgrade has finished.
- The customer can view a report to see the list of upgraded devices and any device upgrades that were not successful.
Receiving upgrade information in callbacks
The ThingSpace Software Management Services API can send callback messages when new firmware versions are available and when upgrades start and finish. The messages will be REST messages POSTed to a registered URL. You are responsible for creating and running a listening process on your server at that URL to receive and parse the messages.
See About Callback Services for more information.
To get started
You can follow these general steps to get started with the Software Management Services API:
- Read the documentation to understand what capabilities are available in the API and which devices are eligible.
- Contact your Verizon account representative to purchase a subscription for the ThingSpace Software Management Services. If you are a new customer, contact email@example.com to find out how to get started.
- Register on the ThingSpace Develop site to get access to the API.
- Verify that you have UWS credentials to obtain session tokens.
- Create a simple callback listener to be ready to receive messages from ThingSpace.
- Start coding your application.